Sunday, 6 November 2011

Accountant in the Attic

I've been a Certified Accountant for 33 years. That's a bit scary isn't it? For the last 18 years, since 2 kids and redundancy hit me square in the eyes I've worked from home. I don't make a fortune, but I work when I choose (mostly anyway!) and have been able to attend all the kids sports days and the like.
The trouble with working from home is... well, you are at home & can see all the chores piling up around your ears. My office is currently in what used to be our dining room, so I am right in the thick of it. I'll just mop the kitchen floor - then go back to Mr. Smith's tax return - oh, and I'll load the washer whilst I'm up.
Some days I hardly seem to get any real work done as I spend the whole time tidying and sorting after the rest of the household, and letting my 3 cats in and out, and in and out...again!
Don't get me wrong, I love my work some days, but on others I could cheerfully sling my computer and files on the compost heap. If only I could take 3 months off I would spend it sorting out the garden, having the perfect tidy house, and perhaps get some chickens to look after. I'd bake and make yummy jams & join the W.I. Unfortunately I often answer the phone to clients with my hands covered in flour.
For now, I'm off to pick the cake mix off my calculator and get some VAT returns done. Ho hum...

No comments:

Post a Comment