Friday, 10 February 2012

A Day Off

I like to take Fridays off if at all possible, and at this time of year that isn't usually a problem. There are several things I like to do when not working.

One of them is selling second-hand books. I don't make a lot of money from this, but I enjoy picking them up at various sales, and from friends wanting a clear out. I often find something I want to read before I sell it. Most sales are via Green Metropolis or Amazon.

One of my other passions is reading. I particularly like biographies, and also am a great fan of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. What am I currently reading, you ask?
  •  Margrave of the Marshes by John Peel - I am finding this quite hard going, but will finish it eventually
  • The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society (sequel to Driving over Lemons) by Chris Stewart
  • The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett
I would love to break into writing, and for the past 4 years I have been (very slowly) following a creative writing course. I am currently working on writing fillers and letters for magazines, and have been thinking of having a go at Flash Fiction (very short stories of around 500 words).
I spend a lot of time browsing magazines looking for suitable places to send my work to. So far today I have written the draft of a review of Broken Music, Sting's autobiography, and sent a couple of readers tips in to magazines.

As I get a bit older I would like to wind down on the Accountancy front, and concentrate more on these other things, but whether anything will come of it, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment